There are many ways you or your organisation can get involved with PSD. You can volunteer, donate, spread the word or become an education parent. If you are part of a large organisation, sponsoring PSD offers a great way to fulfil important corporate social responsibilities. We welcome local, national and international support and interest.
PSD is 100% reliant on donations and support from its sponsors, partners and volunteers. Being a small grass-roots organisation, the majority of funds are spent directly on our beneficiaries rather than being absorbed into expensive administration and marketing costs.
Get involved and become a part of real change today.
Send us an email to get involved
Become and Education Parent
Becoming an education parent is PSD’s flagship programme. When you become an education parent, you change the life of a child forever by sponsoring their education. In return for your donation, one child will be provided a school uniform, all required text books and stationary, a back pack and contribution to teacher salaries.
PSD takes a personal approach to this programme. Staff will work with you to select a student for sponsorship and you are encouraged to become a part of their lives through regularly visiting them in school and attending our monthly education parent meetings (alternative arrangements can be made for international sponsors).
Requirements of an Education Parent:
To become an education parent, there are a few minimum criteria including:
- We request that you sponsor a child for at least one year. Please consider that education is inherently a long term process and thus your commitment needs to be equally long term. If for any reason you cannot continue sponsoring a child, you must provide at least three months’ notice to PSD.
- You are required to donate a minimum of BDT 6000 (Bangladesh Taka) per year, which is the equivalent of approximately US$82. Donations can be made in a lump sum or instalments.
- In addition, you are to provide two sets of clothing to the child upon commencing sponsorship (alternative arrangements can be made for international sponsors).
What we do for you:
Aside from knowing you are changing the life of a child, PSD will provide you:
- Regular updates of your child’s progress, including a quarterly report card
- Invitations to all special and celebratory events
- Acknowledgement of your generous support in relevant publications (if desired)
- PSD’s annual report
Volunteering is a way for you to give back to the community directly. PSD welcomes volunteers from all walks of life and offers a range of ways for you to lend a hand, no matter where your skills lie. We appreciate any amount of time you can offer, from one day to one month to one year.
Some of the ways you can spend your time volunteering at PSD include:
- Become a teacher aid. Help out in preparing for and within classes. Art and English language classes are a great way for international volunteers to communicate with and assist students.
- Visit the classes for a morning. Even this small gesture gives the children immense encouragement and inspiration for their efforts.
- Help train our teachers and build their capacity. Our teachers need help in English language training, lesson planning, alternative teaching methods and environmental/sustainability awareness.
- Propose you own idea for volunteering. PSD is always striving to come up with new and innovative ways to improve our work.
Remember, everyone has important skills and anyone can help! It’s all about cooperation and learning from each other. Volunteer now [link to screened volunteer application process]
If you are part of a private organisation, sponsoring PSD is a great way to address your corporate social responsibilities. As PSD is a locally-focussed grass roots organisation, rest assured that any support you provide will go directly to meeting the education and development needs of disadvantaged communities.
Companies can choose to sponsor PSD as a whole or become an education parent. To get involved, please contact us (link to contact page).
One-off donations are also gratefully accepted. One-off donations will be used to maintain the general operations of the organisation. This may include purchasing educational materials, providing adult training, paying teacher salaries or purchasing tiffins (small portable lunch box) for students. You can donate using your credit card via our secure paypal account [link to paypal].
Spread the word
Anyone can make a difference by promoting important issues such as poverty alleviation, sustainability and education for all. There are countless ways you can raise awareness including:
- Post a link of PSD’s website on facebook or twitter (link)
- If you are a student, teacher or a parent, promote PSD’s activities (and sustainability issues in general) through your local school. PSD is interested in developing partnering and cross-cultural learning opportunities with other schools.
- Start an awareness raising campaign about sustainable issues in developing countries.
- Write to your relevant elected member/s about increasing resourcing towards enhancing sustainable development and poverty alleviation in developing countries, including Bangladesh.